On the Southern Coast of South Africa, near Stillbaai (Quiet Bay). About 350 km from Cape Town in the area known as the Southern Cape.
The trail finishes in the resort town of Stillbaai, with the nearest major hub of Mossel Bay being approximately 100km and the nearest airport hub of George 140 km.
Stillbaai is 26 km off the main N2 route between Cape Town and George. George is the closest airport hub, with daily shuttles to Stillbaai and there is mainline bus between Cape Town and the Goerge, with stops at Riversdale (50 km) and Mossel Bay.
Trip Duration / Options
Option 2. Shorter options can be negotiated with the trail manager.
Start / Finish
Start: Jongensfontein (overnight before the first day) GPS: 34˚25’32.60 S / 21˚20’13.00. The actual hike starts at Blombos.
Daily Time / Distances
Day 1: 8 hours Day 2: 6 hours Day 3: 7 hours Day 4: 5 hours
This trail is moderate. A reasonable level of hiking fitness is required but most active hikers will manage. The first day is fairly challenging with rough terrain in places.
Technical detail / Terrain
Day 2 and 3: Comfortable Guest house in Stilbaai. Single and double room options on all nights. All bedding supplied.
Food Supply / Catering
Logistic support / Guiding
The trail is guided by a fully trained, accredited Mountain Guide, with a Nature Guide qualification.
- Hike past the now famous Blombos Cave, where people lived more than 70 000 years ago
- Learn about how these people lived and that they are actually our ancestors
- Learn more about inter-tidal sea life and fascinating facts about the octopus – also see it in its’ natural environment
- Walk through a variety of fynbos, coastal vegetation, rock formations and a melkhout tree forest
- See whales near the coast in season
- Visit the impressive stone fish traps that the Khoikhoi people built more than 2000 years ago
- View the museum exhibition about the Blombos cave and see actual artefacts excavated
- See what the semi-petrified sand dunes, formed during the last ice age, reveals about local conditions back then
- Taste the alikreukel shellfish in a starter to one of your meals
Fauna & Flora
Seasonality & Best Time Year
R6 400 pp sharing; groups of 10 or more
R6 800 pp sharing; less than 10 persons
Single rates on application
- 4 nights accommodation
- All Meals: Dinner, Breakfast & Packed lunch on hike days, purified water
- Museum visit and information sessions
- Local Hiking/Nature Guide with first aid qualification and medical kit
- Local transport during the hiking trip
- Luggage Transfers & Vehicle Support
Optional extras: Cold drinks and alcoholic drinks, extra orders during meals, out-of-the-ordinary food preferences. Hikers can bring their own drinks.
Here you'll find any scheduled trails that you can join. Trails may be booked up to one year in advance, so be sure to scroll ahead using the arrows on the left to find if there are any available. The trail operator page will also list any scheduled trails.
If you would like to enquire about different dates, please fill in the form below. Trails are initiated when someone makes an enquiry, and go ahead once the minimum numbers are confirmed.
View other multi-day trails by location
Alikreukel Trail enquiry
<< Browse other multi-day trails >>